PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A PRACTITIONER ONLY SUPPLEMENT. IF YOU ARE PURCHASING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME AND HAVE NOT BEEN ADVISED BY A HEALTH PRACTITIONER TO USE THIS PRODUCT, WE WILL NEED TO CONTACT YOU TO DISCUSS APPROPRIATE & SAFE USE BEFORE DISPATCH. PLEASE SUPPLY YOUR CONTACT DETAILS.
Metagenics NeuroCalm Sleep is for insomnia and mild anxiety. Ingredients in NeuroCalm Sleep have been clinically shown or traditionally used:
- For insomnia - for a restful sleep, to get to sleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- To relieve mild anxiety, tension and worry.
- Fast acting, high strength, non-habit forming herbs.
Ziziphus jujuba var. spinosa, seed dry (Zizyphus) 5.0g
Passiflora incarnata, herb dry (Passion flower) 2.0g
Eschscholzia californica, herb flowering dry (California poppy) 750mg
Piscidia piscipula, root bark dry (Jamaica dogwood) 750mg
Lavender Oil 40mg
Metagenics NeuroCalm Sleep is free from animal products, dairy protein, lactose, eggs, gluten, wheat, nuts, yeast and soy protein. Metagenics NeuroCalm Sleep is free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives.
Dose: Adults with mild anxiety take 1 tablet twice daily with food.
For insomnia take 2 tablets once daily with your evening meal.
- NeuroCalm Sleep has sedative qualities which relieve insomnia and mild anxiety. California poppy has traditionally been used for its sedating effects, therefore contributing to a calm and restful sleep. Animal studies have suggested this sedative effect may be due to its ability to bind to GABA receptors and activate them. Lavender oil also acts via GABA receptors and provides additional calming effects by moderating production of stress hormones such as adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), which stimulates cortisol production. Passion flower has an anxiolytic effect by affecting GABA neurotransmitter pathways. Flavonoids from passion flower bind to the stress receptor sites of the GABAA receptor. Zizyphus’ calming effects come from its ability to increase the effect of GABA. GABA is a calming neurotransmitter and its activity promotes sleepiness and relaxation.
- NeuroCalm Sleep reduces effects of excitatory neurotransmitters. Linalool from lavender oil inhibits acetylcholine release and glutamate binding in the cerebral cortex. Its ability to ease tension and promote a restful sleep come from this ability to alter excitatory neurotransmitters such as glutamate and noradrenaline. Zizyphus also reduces the neuroexcitatory effects of glutamate thus reducing wakefulness and alertness.
- Antidepressant medications: Zizyphus, California poppy and lavender may have additive effects, however beneficial interaction is likely under professional supervision. Monitor, and do not exceed recommended dosage.
- Barbiturates: Magnolia and passionflower might increase the risk of drowsiness. Use caution if operating heavy machinery, driving a motor vehicle, or if involved in activities requiring mental alertness.
- Benzodiazepines and CNS depressants: California poppy and zizyphus may have additive sedative effects. Exercise caution if operating heavy machinery, driving a motor vehicle, or if involved in activities requiring mental alertness. Monitor, and do not exceed recommended dose.
- Diarrhoea: Zizyphus may exacerbate diarrhoea. Use with caution in people with severe diarrhoea.
- Surgery: Disconinue use at least 2 weeks before elective surgical procedures.
- Pregnancy: Contraindicated in pregnancy. Lavender has been found to stimulate uterine contractions in an animal model. Zizyphus may also have uterine-stimulating activity. Avoid use during pregnancy.
- Allergies and Sensitivities: Avoid in patients with known allergy/hypersensitivity to Zizyphus spp., its constituents, or members of the family Rhamnaceae (buckthorn) and Jamaican dogwood and/or members of the Fabaceae family.
- Some components of some zizyphus species may cross react with latex IgE; those with severe latex allergy may react to zizyphus fruit